SUMMARY OF MINUTES OF ANNUAL RVCC BUSINESS MEETING HELD ON 09-07-13
On Saturday, September 7, 2013, the Roanoke Valley Chess Club held its annual re-organizational business meeting. The meeting was convened by club President Mike Huff at the club's headquarters in the Roanoke Natural Foods Co-Op on Grandin Road SW.
I. General Members' Meeting.
1) President's Report for the 2012-13 FY.
A brief summary of each of the club's events for the past year was given by the club officers present who organized or directed them. All present agreed that it has been a very busy and satisfying club year !
2) Treasurer's Report.
The Treasurer's Report will be made available at a later date.
3) Web Page.
Our current Web Master is Mr. Martin Cooperson. The club is very pleased with the continuous excellence, creativity and promptness of his work.
4) IRS Reminder.
The RVCC is a tax-exempt, charitable organization with designated I.R.S. 501 ( c3 ) status. This means that individuals and organizations can donate monies and things of value to the Club and have such donations written off as tax deductions.
Accordingly, all members are enthusiastically encouraged to solicit donations for the Club !
5) Other Old Business.
The club membership recognized and commended the volunteer team that has worked together in order to make the club successful this year. A partial list includes the following officers and Board members : Mike Huff, Ray Megginson, Eric Diaz, Josh Lilly, and Russell Potter.
6) Election of Officers.
Mike Huff was elected President of the RVCC.
Ray Megginson was elected club Vice-President.
Charlie Morgan was elected Treasurer.
7) New Business.
Ray Megginson observed that the RVCC needs to follow up effectively with new contacts gleaned from our activities.He suggested telephone calls welcoming them into the club, and urging them to return. Ray also suggested offering new activities to maintain interest. All present agreed.
8) Dues. Membership dues were then collected for FY 2013-14.
9) Adjournment. The general members' meeting adjourned at approximately 3:00 p.m.
II. Board of Directors Meeting.
The meeting of those members with 2 or more years of dues-paid membership then convened at approx. 3:00 p.m. and elected the following members to the following positions on the Board of Directors :
1) Election of Board Members.
1) EVEN YEAR  'A' SPOT :  2012-2014 : Russell Potter (not up for election).
2) EVEN YEAR  'B' SPOT :  2012-2014 : ( Vacant ).
3) ODD YEAR   'A' SPOT :  2013-2015 : Josh Lilly.
4) ODD YEAR   'B' SPOT :  2013-2015 : Mike Huff.
Things to know about the Board :
a) In order to serve on the Board of Directors of the RVCC, a member must have 5 consecutive, dues-paid years of membership in the RVCC.
b) As club Treasurer, Charlie Morgan automatically becomes a member of the Board of Directors, with full voting rights on the board, as long as he holds the Treasurer's position.
c) Russell Potter is currently Chairman of the Board of Directors. This position is periodically elected by the other members of the Board.
2) Tournament Calendar. The Board of Directors met and drew up a tentative tournament schedule and Calendar of Events for the upcoming club year. This schedule will include both our USCF-rated Grand Prix tournaments, and our casual chess events, as well as our community outreach events. Once all the details are nailed down for our two Grand Prix events, they will be finalized by Nov. 1, and then posted on our Web Page shortly thereafter.
3) Adjournment. The meeting of the Board of Directors was then adjourned at approx. 4:15 p.m.
(Report submitted by Mike Huff. )
For a detailed printable PDF summary of the reorganizational meeting please