SUMMARY OF MINUTES OF ANNUAL RVCC BUSINESS MEETING HELD ON 09/07/2022
On the evening of Wednesday, September 7, 2022, the Roanoke Valley Chess Club held its annual re-organizational business meeting. The meeting was convened by President Mike Huff at Chess Club headquarters: Raleigh Court Public Library, 2112 Grandin Road, SW. Attendees enjoyed delicious soft drinks and pizzas, delivered by Treasurer Ray Megginson. Those present included all the club officers and Board members, and a number of general members.
- General Membership Meeting.
- President's Report for the FY 2021-22.
Traditionally, the President's Report reviews activities of the past year, and largely coincides with a summary of events. For the complete list of these past events, see the RVCC PAST EVENTS section of our Web page. The President noted that the RVCC successfully emerged from the shadow of the pandemic to resume OTB play. We recognized the efforts of our officers (all volunteers) in directing tournaments and other events, and gave special thanks to Raleigh Court Library for hosting all our weekly meetings.
- Treasurer's Report.
The Treasurer's Report, presented by Ray Megginson, discussed the profit-loss aspect of last year's events.
- Web Page.
Our current Web Master is Mr. Martin Cooperson. The club is very pleased with the continuous excellence, creativity, and promptness of his work. We are very grateful for Martin's help!
- IRS Reminder.
The RVCC is a tax-exempt, charitable organization with designated I.R.S. 501 (c3) status. This means that individuals and organizations can donate monies and items of value to the Club, and have such donations written off as tax deductions. Accordingly, all members are enthusiastically encouraged to solicit donations for the Club!
- Other Old Business.
President Mike Huff proposed that the RVCC resume selling club uniform shirts to interested members. The other officers and assembled members agreed, and the motion carried.
- Election of Officers.
Mike Huff was re-elected as President of the RVCC.
Ben Dubuque was re-elected as Vice-President.
Ray Megginson was re-elected as Treasurer.
Russell Potter was re-elected as Senior Advisor.
- New Business.
Vice-President Ben Dubuque proposed several possibilities for a thematic tournament, also a Grand Prix tournament, and generously donated $150 to the Club.
Membership dues were then collected for FY 2022-23.
The general membership meeting adjourned at approximately 8:30 p.m.
- Board of Directors Meeting.
The Board of Directors convened at approx. 9:00 p.m., and elected the following members to the following two-year terms on the Board of Directors:
- Election of Board Members.
- EVEN-YEAR 'A' SPOT: Rusty Potter was re-elected for a new 2022-24 term.
- EVEN-YEAR 'B' SPOT: Ray Megginson agreed to serve for a new 2022-24 term.
- ODD-YEAR 'A' SPOT: Vacant for 2022-24.
- ODD-YEAR 'B' SPOT: Mike Huff agreed to serve out the current 2021-23 term.
Things to know about the Board:
- In order to serve on the Board of Directors of the RVCC, a member must have 5 consecutive, dues-paid years of membership in the RVCC.
- Josh Lilly resigned from the Board in 2015, leaving his odd-year "A" spot vacant.
- As club Treasurer, Ray Megginson automatically remains an unelected member of the Board of Directors, with full voting rights on the Board, as long as he holds the Treasurer's position.
- Mike Huff was NOT up for election for the current 2021-23 odd-year "B" spot.
- Activities Calendar.
The Board of Directors met and drew up a tentative tournament schedule and Calendar of Events for the upcoming club year. This schedule will include our USCF-rated tournaments, other possible tournaments, our popular casual chess events, as well as our community outreach events. Once all the details have been finalized for our Grand Prix and other events, they will be posted on our Web page.
- Adjournment. The meeting of the Board of Directors was then adjourned at approx. 9:30 p.m.
(Report submitted by Mike Huff.)